Sunday, August 23, 2009

Sweltering...

...thats what it is like in Rome. Not exactly the best weather to be walking around the Colosseum and The Roman Forum. I am sure one of my friends would really love this weather. :)

The Colosseum is indeed imposing. The scale of the structure built in the pre-industrial age is just staggering. Since I have never been a huge history buff, I was starting to get bored towards the end. Maybe the heat had something to do with it too.

One my way to the Pantheon, I stumbled upon this beautiful church. From the outside it looked pretty much like any other around Rome. Even though it is marked on the tourist maps, it is not exactly in the top list of things to see. But I am glad I went in. It was exquisite inside with the ceiling reminiscent of the Sistine Chapel. It also had a feigned cuppola which was really intricate and unique.

Since I was coming to the end of my trip, we went across the river into where locals hang out and had a wonderful dinner at a local restaurant. Even though the restaurant was packed, we were the only tourists there. That my friends is always a good sign.

As we were walking back the local women were out in full force dressed to the hilt for the night. It was indeed a vision :)

Today too was insanely warm. Luckily I was just visiting the Borghese Gallery. So it was all good. For my last night I am heading up to the Trevi Fountain and then to the Spanish Steps.

Tomorrow, I will have couple of hours to kill before heading to the airport for my Paris Flight. Hopefully I will rent a Vespa and drive around for a bit.

Till then...

2 comments:

  1. yes rome didnt wow me as Paris did. But I did love the ruins near the coloseum.

    ReplyDelete