Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Paris, je t'aime

I have suspected this for the longest time. And today my suspicions have been proved right. I absolutely love Paris. I almost feel as if I am cheating on NYC here. Paris may have replaced NYC as my favorite city. Just maybe.

Well, before I go into it my trip here was eventful. Flight delayed by nearly 2 hours. Painful train ride to the hostel. Walking around lost in a drizzle. Hauling my big-ass suitcase four flight of steps. Things were not off to a good start.

But managed to get in a good night of sleep and get into a positive frame of mind by the morning. Took the metro down to the Louvre. As I got out of the metro and breathed the Paris air, still moist from last night's rain, I knew it. This city is going to take hold off me. The first croissant and coffee sitting outdoors was like foreplay.

The Louvre is closed on Tuesdays (how smart of me not to check). But that didn't matter. I was just happy to be walking around Paris. The sidewalks, the streets, the women- everything seemed to have that something extra. Don't get me wrong. Physically, Italian women are much more gorgeous than Parisian women. But there is something about them - Je ne sais quois - which is so alluring. More on this topic later.



So wandered about the Parisian streets, went to the Eiffel Tower. Don't have much to say beyond what has been said or seen. But the true surprise for me was Notre Dame. I never expected to be so captivated by it but I was. The truth is I was awe-struck by the sheer beauty of it - both inside and outside.



This was very susprising given that I had just visited the most famous church in the world - St Peter's Basilica - a few days back. I was quite impressed with that at the time. But Notre Dame was something else. I can't really spell out what it was - maybe the gothic architecture, the stained glass or the organ which was playing inside. Again the French phrase comes to mind - 'Je ne sais quois'. They had a guestbook of sorts at the Church and here is what I wrote in it -


"I don't know if God exists. But if he does, I am sure it is in the incredible beauty of exquisite art like this".

1 comment:

  1. I loved Pareee. The boulangerie and the pattiseries. Try the crepes on the roadside, they are divine. A crepe will never taste the same again. My fav was fromage and bacon and the other one nuttela and bananas. yum yum.

    ReplyDelete