Friday, August 21, 2009

Stolen moments of Silence

You know how they say a good morning begins with a good breakfast. Sitting outdoors in a cafe adjoining the hostel and having a yummy breakfast put me in a swell mood.

Today was all Vatican. St Peter's square is truly magnificent and imposing. Sitting under the columns with the breeze blowing and eating gelato has to be one of those special moments.



While that was laid-back and relaxed, climb upto the top of the Basilica was not. Smart one that I am, I chose to forgoe the option of taking the elevator (would have saved me 200 steps) and just climb all the 520 steps. The view atop was breathtaking but my legs weren't too happy about it.



There is not much to say about the Basilica or the Museum (incuding the Sistine Chapel). It was everything I imagined to be. Interestingly I could draw some parallels between the Basilica and one of the famous temples back home.



Yet another point of note - among the myriad of "Madonna and Bambino" paintings in the museum, none of them depict any affection or joy in Mary's eyes. Was it because she was a virgin mother and regretted the baby? I wonder why.



Inside the Basilica, there were couple of prayer corners. I sat in each one of them for a few minutes. It was as if an invisible wall engulfed the area from the noisy crowds around us and I was stealing some moments of silence.


I remember something similar from years ago. It was my second year of college and we were on a trip to Kodaikanal. While my friends were still finishing up lunch, I was wandering around the neighborhood and saw this church. I went in there and sat inside. The peace and quiet I experienced today, was quite like the one from so many years ago. I found that intriguing


One a funny note, the Basilica has the rule where no bare knees or shoulders are allowed for men or women. So there was this girl who was turned away. She was standing in front of the Basilica entrance and shouting "I am f**king covered !" I just found it to be very funny. As were the women strking sexy poses inside the Basilica, essentially in front of the tombs of popes.


Today I am off to slay a few gladiators.

No comments:

Post a Comment